The Hippocratic Oath-Lời Thề Hippocrate
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lanba

105 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  14:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Hippocratic Oath
Perhaps the most enduring - certainly the most quoted - tradition in the history of medicine is the Hippocratic Oath. Named after the famous Greek physician Hippocrates, this oath was written as a guideline for the medical ethics of doctors. Although the exact words have changed over time, the general content is the same - an oath to respect those who have imparted their knowledge upon the science of medicine, and respect to the patients as well as the promise to treat them to the best of the physicians' ability.

Who was Hippocrates, and Did he Write the Oath?
For a man considered by many to be the 'Father of Medicine', little is known about Hippocrates of Cos. He lived circa 460-380 BC, and was the contemporary of Socrates as well as a practising physician. Historians have suggested that Hippocrates might have been an Asclepiad, a member of a guild of physicians whose origins trace back to Asclepius, the god of healing. He was certainly held to be the most famous physician and teacher of medicine in his time. Over 60 treatises of medicine, called the Hippocratic Corpus have been attributed to him; however, these treatises had conflicting content and were written some time between 510 and 300 BC, and therefore could not all have been written by him.

The Oath was named after Hippocrates, certainly; however, its penmanship is still in question, although according to authorities in medical history, the contents of the oath suggest that it was penned during the 4th Century BC according to the doctrines of the Pythagorean philosophy, which makes it possible that Hippocrates had himself written it.

Perhaps the reasoning of Galen will shed some light on the matter. Galen was the last of the great Greek physicians, and the chief authority of anatomy, physiology and pathology, and whose views on Hippocrates were highly influential. He was fully aware of the disputes over the authorship of the Hippocrates treatises, and that one of these works, The Nature of Man, had been attributed to Polybus. However, Galen's view was that even if The Nature of Man had been written by Polybus, it would still be good evidence for the doctrines of Hippocrates himself1. This is because Polybus was the son-in-law as well as the pupil of Hippocrates, and had taken over from Hippocrates the task of educating the young. What is most important is that he did not seem to have modified any of Hippocrates' doctrines in his own writings. Because of this, Galen believed that although some of the treatises may not have been written by Hippocrates' own hand, they most probably still recorded his views and opinions faithfully. Thus we can safely believe that, regardless of whether or not Hippocrates himself had written the Hippocratic Oath, the contents of the oath reflect Hippocrates' views on medical ethics.

The Original Version
I swear by Apollo the healer, by Aesculapius, by Health and all the powers of healing, and call to witness all the gods and goddesses that I may keep this Oath and Promise to the best of my ability and judgement.
I will pay the same respect to my master in the Science as to my parents and share my life with him and pay all my debts to him. I will regard his sons as my brothers and teach them the Science, if they desire to learn it, without fee or contract. I will hand on precepts, lectures and all other learning to my sons, to those of my master and to those pupils duly apprenticed and sworn, and to none other.
I will use my power to help the sick to the best of my ability and judgement; I will abstain from harming or wronging any man by it.
I will not give a fatal draught to anyone if I am asked, nor will I suggest any such thing. Neither will I give a woman means to procure an abortion.
I will be chaste and religious in my life and in my practice.
I will not cut, even for the stone, but I will leave such procedures to the practitioners of that craft.
Whenever I go into a house, I will go to help the sick and never with the intention of doing harm or injury. I will not abuse my position to indulge in sexual contacts with the bodies of women or of men, whether they be freemen or slaves.
Whatever I see or hear, professionally or privately, which ought not to be divulged, I will keep secret and tell no one.
If, therefore, I observe this Oath and do not violate it, may I prosper both in my life and in my profession, earning good repute among all men for my time. If I transgress and forswear this oath, may my lot be otherwise.

Source: BBC

The Hippocratic Oath: Modern Version
I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

------------------

Written in 1964 by Louis Lasagna, Academic Dean of the School of Medicine at Tufts University, and used in many medical schools today.

Louis Lasagna

Lời thề HIPPOCRATE và cha đẻ của nó là ai
Thầy thuốc Hy Lạp, được thừa nhận là ông tổ của ngành y. Người ta cho rằng ông sinh ra ở đảo Cos, một hòn đảo nằm ven bờ biển Tiểu á, gần Rhodes. Ông đã học nghề y từ người cha, vốn là một thầy thuốc. Ông đã từng đi một số nơi, có lẽ là Athen, để nghiên cứu, và sau đó ông trở lại đảo Cos để hành nghề, giảng dạy và viết sách. Trường phái Hypocrates, hay trường phái Cos hình thành xung quanh ông đã đóng vai trò cực kỳ quan trọng trong việc tách y học ra khỏi những suy luận mê tín và triết học, đưa y học thành phạm trù khoa học chính xác dựa trên quan sát khách quan và lập luận suy diễn chặt chẽ. Mặc dù Hypocrates theo quan niệm thời bấy giờ cho rằng bệnh tật là hậu quả của sự mất cân bằng của bốn loại thể dịch, ông kiên trì quan điểm rằng sự rối loạn chịu ảnh hưởng của những thế lực bên ngoài cơ thể, và thể dịch là chất tiết ra từ các tuyến. Ông tin rằng mục đích của y học là bồi đắp sức khỏe cho bệnh nhân thông qua chế độ ǎn hợp lý và các biện pháp vệ sinh, và chỉ nên sử dụng đến những biện pháp điều trị quyết liệt hơn khi các triệu chứng bắt buộc phải làm như vậy. Quan niệm này trái ngược với trường phái Cnidius cùng thời, nhấn mạnh đến việc chẩn đoán chi tiết và và phân loại bệnh mà bỏ qua bệnh nhân. Có lẽ Hypocrates đã có ý niệm mơ hồ về các yếu tố Mendel và bộ gen trong di truyền, vì ông không chỉ chú ý đến dấu hiệu của bệnh, mà còn đến các triệu chứng biểu hiện trong gia đình hoặc trong cộng đồng, thậm chí biểu hiện qua nhiều thế hệ kế tiếp nhau.Trong bộ sách đồ sộ gồm những tác phẩm viết bắt nguồn từ trường phái Cos, chỉ một số ít được cho là do chính Hipocrates viết ra, mặc dù người ta có thể cảm nhận được ảnh hưởng xuyên suốt của ông. Trong số này, cuốn Cách ngôn, tóm tắt những quan sát và suy luận của ông, cùng với cuốn Không khí, Nước và Nơi sống, thừa nhận mối liên quan giữa môi trường và bệnh tật, được xem là quan trọng hơn cả. Bộ sách này đã được dịch thành một số bản, trong đó nổi tiếng là bản dịch của Littré.

Mặc dù lời thề Hypocrates không trực tiếp mang lại danh tiếng cho ông, song, không nghi ngờ gì nữa, nó tiêu biểu cho những tư tưởng và nguyên tắc của ông. Vẫn chi phối việc thực hành y đức của các bác sỹ ngày nay, lời thề Hypocrates thường vang lên tại lễ tốt nghiệp của các trường y. Lời thề qui định chi tiết quyền được giữ bí mật của bệnh nhân, yêu cầu người thầy thuốc phải có cuộc sống riêng tư và nghề nghiệp đáng kính trọng, và đòi hỏi họ điều trị chỉ với mục đích chữa khỏi bệnh.
Lời Thề Hippocrate
Tôi xin thề trước Apollon thần chữa bệnh, trước Es-culape thần y học, trước thần Hygie và panacée, và trước sự chứng giám của tất cả các nam nữ thiên thần, là tôi sẽ đem hết sức lực và khả nǎng để làm trọn lời thề và lời cam kết sau đây:

Tôi sẽ coi các thầy học của tôi ngang hàng với các bậc thân sinh ra tôi. Tôi sẽ chia sẻ với các vị đó của cải của tôi, và khi cần tôi sẽ đáp ứng những nhu cầu của các vị đó. Tôi sẽ coi con của thầy như anh em ruột thịt của tôi, và nếu họ muộn học nghề y thì tôi sẽ dạy cho họ không lấy tiền công mà cũng không giấu nghề. Tôi sẽ truyền đạt cho họ những nguyên lý, những bài học truyền miệng và tất cả vốn hiểu biết của tôi cho các con tôi, các con của các thầy dạy tôi và cho tất cả các môn đệ cùng gắn bó bời một lời cam kết và một lời thề đúng với Y luật mà không truyền cho một ai khác.
Tôi sẽ chỉ dẫn mọi chế độ có lợi cho người bệnh tùy theo khả nǎng và sự phán đoán của tôi, tôi sẽ tránh mọi điều xấu và bất công.
Tôi sẽ không trao thuốc độc cho bất kỳ ai, kể cả khi họ yêu cầu và cũng không tự mình gợi ý cho họ; cũng như vậy, tôi cũng sẽ không trao cho bất cứ người phụ nữ nào những thuốc gây sẩy thai.

Tôi suốt đời hành nghề trong sự vô tư và thân thiết.

Tôi sẽ không thực hiện những phẫu thuật mở bàng quang mà dành công việc đó cho nhưng người chuyên.
Dù vào bất cứ nhà nào, tôi cũng chỉ vì lợi ích của người bệnh, tránh mọi hành vi xấu xa, cố ý và đồi bại nhất là tránh cám dỗ phụ nữ và thiếu niên tự do hay nô lệ.

Dù tôi có nhìn hoặc nghe thấy gì trong xã hội, trong và cả ngoài lúc hành nghề của tôi, tôi sẽ xin im lặng trước những điều không bao giờ cần để lộ ra và coi sự kín đáo trong trường hợp đó như một nghĩa vụ.

Nếu tôi làm trọn lời thề này và không có gì vi phạm tôi sẽ được hưởng một cuộc sống sung sướng và sẽ được hành nghề trong sự qúy trọng mãi mãi của mọi người. Nếu tôi vi phạm lòi thề này hay tôi tự phản bội, thì tôi sẽ phải chịu một số phận khổ sở ngược lại.

Edited by - Lanba on 09/22/2009 14:36:55
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Cotab.com Forums © 2011 Cotab.com Go To Top Of Page